Early pregnancy tests are acutely more sensitive than the standard pregnancy test kits available. The early detection pregnancy test is able to distinguish low levels of the hCG hormone (human chorionic gonadotropin) and detect if a female is pregnant in the early stages even before she has missed her period. During the early stages of pregnancy, the hormone hCG is released in large amounts and multiplies quickly. It is found in the female’s urine.
Most often, a typical home pregnancy test will produce a positive result as soon as the hCG hormone gets to a level of 25mIU within the urine. However, an early detection pregnancy test will produce a positive result once the hCG level gets to a mere 10mIU within the urine which makes it far superior and more sensitive to a regular home test. Using an early detection pregnancy test will reveal a positive result much quicker and can be detected as early as 8 – 10 days following ovulation.
How to use Early Pregnancy Tests
In order to complete an early detection pregnancy test, you simply dip the strip in a sample of urine and wait a few moments for the results. Every pack includes a full set of instructions and these should be followed if you want accurate pregnancy test results. A midstream test works slightly differently, instead you hold the test stick for few seconds in your urine stream. You then wait for the results.
The peak concentration level of hCG hormone is highest first thing in the morning; therefore it’s crucial to test your first pass of urine upon waking to obtain a more accurate test. This way you will achieve a much greater chance of indeed detecting a pregnancy. Throughout the day, the hormone level will diminish and so will your ability to detect how much is in your urine; therefore reducing your chances of discovering whether you are pregnant or not. Most pregnancy tests are highly reliable, but no test will give your 100% reliable results.
Pros and Cons to using an Early Pregnancy Tests
Benefits of using Early Pregnancy Tests
– The strips are super easy to use
– You will discover you are pregnant much sooner
– The strips successfully detect low levels of hCG pregnancy hormone
– The strips are cost effective and provide a great value for the money
Downside to Using Early Pregnancy Tests
– Since the hCG hormone level may not be elevated enough in the urine even when using a sensitive early detection test, more false negatives may result.
– If the test is successful at detecting your early pregnancy, but something unfortunate however should occur, you would have been none the wiser concerning your pregnancy.
– At times you may be required to repeat the test again and again until you achieve a positive result or until your period commences.
Our recommended Early Pregnancy Tests
Zoom Baby Early Pregnancy Tests are very popular. They feature a 3.5mm wide test strip which makes them easy to interpret. They are also very competitively priced, making them much cheaper than any equivalent tests that you might find in the shops!
This post first appeared in 2013 and has been updated since.