Below we’ve listed some of the more commonly asked questions about fertility lubricants; about how (and if) they work and which ones are safe to use while trying to achieve a pregnancy.
What Are Fertility Lubricants?
Fertility lubricants have been specifically formulated to ensure they contain a similar viscosity and pH as semen and fertile cervical fluid in order to provide sperm with a protective environment and to allow the sperm to pass through the lubricant. Fertility lubricants enhance a woman’s own natural lubrication by mimicking the consistency and quality of cervical fluid. These products are extensively tested to ensure they are safe for eggs, embryos, and sperm. In order to protect sperm and ultimately conception, it’s important that lubricants not specifically formulated to assist with fertility be avoided at all costs while trying to conceive.
Where Can I Purchase a Safe-to Use Fertility Lubricant?
Fertility lubricants are widely available both on the high street and online. If you are shopping online, you can purchase fertility lubricants from Zoom Baby. This normally the cheapest option, particularly for Pre-Seed and Conceive Plus. (Note: A Pre-Seed discount code can often be used to get the best possible online price)
What Are the Ingredients in Fertility Lubricants?
The ingredients in fertility lubricants do vary from brand to brand; however, the main prerequisite with any fertility lubricant is that they have passed laboratory testing and are deemed sperm friendly. The main ingredient in most fertility lubricants is water; however, each individual lubricant should be checked for full information. Fertility lubricants have been specifically developed to mimic natural fertile cervical mucus, which is watery and slippery.
For example, Conceive Plus has been found to be safe for oocytes, embryos, and sperm, making it the only lubricant that includes magnesium ions and calcium in order to help keep sperm cells healthy. There are other popular fertility lubricants, such as Pre-Seed and FertilSafe PLUS, so we do suggest you check the list of ingredients before choosing your fertility lubricant.
Do Fertility Lubricants Help Women Trying to Conceive?
It all depends. If you have sufficient fertile cervical mucus and lubrication is not an issue for you, then it may not be necessary or even helpful for you to use a fertility lubricant. However, if vaginal dryness is a problem during lovemaking, a fertility lubricant could well improve the chances of conceiving a baby. The reason is that using a fertility lubricant permits better and deeper intercourse, and the lubricant provides an easier passage for the sperm.
How Are Fertility Lubricants Used?
Fertility lubricants can be used intra-vaginally using a vaginal applicator, or they can be applied externally as a sexual lubricant to either partner. The fertility lubricant should be used every time you have intercourse during the six most fertile days of your cycle.
Why Can’t I Use a Normal Lubricant When Trying to Conceive?
It’s important that you avoid using lubricants that have not been deemed ‘sperm and contraception friendly’ while trying to achieve a pregnancy. The reason is because many personal lubricants contain ingredients that are either toxic to sperm, or hinder the movement of sperm.
What Is the Difference between Fertility Lubricants and Normal Personal Lubricants?
Fertility lubricants have been specifically formulated to mimic fertile cervical mucus. We suggest that couples trying to conceive should avoid using everyday sexual lubricants which can harm sperm, thus reducing the chances of pregnancy. Personal lubricants can certainly be used for sexual pleasure, but they should not be used when trying to conceive. Research shows that regular lubricants can cause DNA damage, inhibit sperm movement, and even kill sperm.
Standard lubricants purchased from your local pharmacy can contain ingredients that actually fight sperm, thus making it even harder to get pregnant. However, fertility lubricants designed for encouraging pregnancy actually assist with sperm viability and motility by encouraging sperm to swim to the uterus. You’ll probably notice the words “osmolality” and “PH balance” when checking the labels of fertility lubricants, which simply means that your PH levels must be balanced when you’re trying to get pregnant. Unfortunately, some standard lubricants fight those levels.
Can the Applicators Be Re-Used?
While we understand that some couples do clean and re-use applicators, we strongly suggest that for safety and hygiene reasons these applicators should not be reused and should be discarded immediately after use.
Is It Safe to Use Saliva As a Lubricant When Trying to Conceive?
It’s not recommended that saliva be used as a lubricant when trying to achieve a pregnancy. In fact, saliva could well reduce your chances of conceiving because it can be toxic to sperm. We strongly suggest that couples trying to conceive use a sperm-friendly fertility lubricant.
Pros and Cons of Using a Fertility Lubricant
Couples who are trying to conceive often resort to fertility lubricants to increase their chances of getting pregnant. A fertility lubricant is a specialised type of personal lubricant that is designed to help couples who are trying to conceive by enhancing the quality and quantity of their cervical mucus. While there are many brands of fertility lubricants available on the market today, couples should be aware of the potential pros and cons of using these products.
- Increase in fertility – One of the biggest advantages of using fertility lubricants is that they can increase your chances of getting pregnant. These lubricants are specially formulated to mimic your natural cervical mucus, which can help sperm move more easily through the cervix and on to the fallopian tubes, where fertilisation takes place.
- Safe for use – Fertility lubricants are safe for use as they do not contain harmful chemicals or ingredients that can cause harm. They are pH balanced and are made from natural ingredients, making them safe for most couples trying to conceive.
- Help with vaginal dryness – Vaginal dryness is a common problem faced by many women, especially during intercourse. This can reduce the chances of getting pregnant as it affects the quality of the cervical mucus. Fertility lubricants can help overcome this problem by providing additional lubrication, which enhances the chances of success.
- False sense of security – Couples may feel that using a fertility lubricant alone will increase their chances of getting pregnant. However, this is just one of the many factors that affect fertility. Using a fertility lubricant does not guarantee success, and it is essential to seek medical advice if couples are facing difficulty in conceiving.
- Expensive – Fertility lubricants are more expensive than regular personal lubricants, making them less accessible to those on a tight budget.
- Limited Research – While fertility lubricants are marketed as a safe and effective tool to increase fertility, there is limited scientific research to back these claims. Before using a fertility lubricant, it is always advisable to speak with a healthcare professional to ensure it is a good option for you.
In conclusion, fertility lubricants can be a useful tool for couples who are trying to conceive. While they have advantages, they also have potential drawbacks. It is important to do your research and consult a healthcare professional before using these products to ensure it is a safe and effective option for you. Remember, fertility is a complex issue and other factors such as age, health
Photo by Zoom Baby
This post first appeared in 2021. It was last updated in June 2023.